Getting a traffic ticket in Michigan doesn't always mean you'll end up with points on your driving record. Taking a defensive driving course could not only reduce these points but might also qualify you for a discount on your car insurance. These courses are even state-approved and available online with popular state-certified educators like I Drive Safely.
Basic Driver Improvement Course in Michigan
With a 4-hour Michigan Online Basic Driver Improvement course, you can refine your driving skills and deepen your understanding of traffic laws. By completing a state-approved online course (like our preferred choice offered by I Drive Safely), you can often dismiss your ticket and avoid points on your driving record. Here's what you can expect to learn:
- Traffic laws and regulations
- Defensive driving techniques
- Accident prevention strategies
- Stress reduction while driving
How to Take a Defensive Driving Course in Michigan
Finding an approved defensive driving course is your first step. Check out the Michigan Secretary of State's website for a list of approved courses. The #1 provider in the state by some distance is I Drive Safely. Once you've selected your course, you can register and pay either online or by phone.
How to Get a Discount on Your Car Insurance After Taking a Defensive Driving Course
Upon completing your defensive driving course, contact your car insurance provider. Many companies offer a discount, sometimes up to 10% or more, for successfully finishing a course. We also offer an exclusive discount on the I Drive Safely Michigan course.
How Many Times Can You Take a Defensive Driving Course in Michigan?
The Michigan Basic Driver Improvement Course can only be taken once in your lifetime. However, other types of defensive driving courses, like the Traffic Safety Course, may be taken multiple times.
How to Satisfy Court Requirements with a Defensive Driving Course
If you've been ordered by a court to take a defensive driving course, ensure the course you choose is approved. You can find a list of these on the Michigan Secretary of State website.
IDriveSafely's Michigan Basic Driver Improvement Course
iDriveSafely offers an online, self-paced course that's approved by the Michigan Secretary of State. It can help you dismiss a traffic ticket or qualify for a car insurance discount. Here's what you need to know:
- Course content: Covers eight chapters on Michigan traffic laws, defensive driving techniques, and safe driving in various conditions.
- Final exam: You'll need to pass a final exam to receive a completion certificate.
- Affordable Course fee: Just $34.99! (Way less expensive than paying for the actual ticket)
- Time frame: The course can be completed in as little as one hour, but you have up to 90 days to complete it.
- Device compatibility: You can access the course on any device with an internet connection.
- Customer support: iDriveSafely's customer support team is ready to assist with any questions or issues.
Michigan Traffic Citations Statistics
In 2020, over 3 million traffic citations were issued in Michigan. Here are some statistics about these citations:
- Most common citations: Speeding, followed by driving under the influence (DUI).
- Average fine: Traffic citations in Michigan average around $150.
- Insurance costs: Drivers with one traffic citation usually pay about $100 more per year in insurance than drivers with no citations.
- License penalties: Drivers with multiple traffic citations could have their driver's licenses suspended or revoked.
Some specific citation statistics:
- Speeding in a school zone: Fines range from $200 to $400.
- Driving under the influence (DUI): Fines range from $1,000 to $5,000, and jail time may also be imposed.
- Texting while driving: Fines range from $100 to $200.
- Running a red light: Fines range from $100 to $200.
- Failing to yield the right of way: Fines range from $100 to $200.
For more information, visit the Michigan Secretary of State website.
Conclusions on Defensive Driving in Michigan
If you've received a traffic citation in the state of Michigan, don't panic. A Michigan Online Basic Drivers Improvement Course from I Drive Safely allows you to dismiss your ticket by completing a defensive driving course. Given that the course is just 1 hour long, we think that having online defensive driving at your disposal makes the hassle of getting a ticket a little easier to bare.
Brandon Myers is an entrepreneur, online course enthusiast, and driving education innovator. Diagnosed with ADHD, Myers has always struggled with conventional classroom learning methods. With a career spanning over 15 years in eLearning, Brandon has made significant contributions to the field of online drivers education, playing instrumental roles in renowned platforms like Aceable, I Drive Safely, and DriversEd.com. As the owner of LegitCourse.com, Brandon's passion project, he aims to connect students with the education they need online. Additionally, Brandon has ventured into the field of dentistry with initiatives such as OpinionTwo, an app offering seamless second opinions, and SEO Dentist, a company dedicated to assisting dentists with their website optimization.